If you’re considering breast augmentation surgery, you’ve probably done quite a bit of research on your own to start with. However, it’s normal to have questions or concerns about whether it’s right for you or what kind of outcome you can expect. Fortunately, before having the procedure, you’ll have a one-on-one consultation with a plastic surgeon, so you’ll have the opportunity to get answers to any questions you may have.
If you’re not sure what questions to ask or how to voice your concerns, it’s not a problem. To help, our board-certified plastic surgeon in Raleigh is sharing what questions to ask during your breast augmentation consultation.
Finding a Breast Augmentation Surgeon
The first step is making sure you’re scheduling an appointment with a qualified plastic surgeon if you don’t already have one in mind. Some tips on finding one include:
- Only schedule with a doctor who is certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.
- Read online reviews to learn more about the doctor. If there are poor reviews, is there a reason given and was it addressed
- Are there recurring themes or similar statements throughout the review (both good and bad)?
- Reach out to people you know and trust who have had breast augmentation or other cosmetic procedures, and see what kind of experience they had.
Once you have made a choice, schedule the consultation. It’s important to note that this appointment is not only about setting up a time and getting the details ironed out, it’s about making sure you are comfortable and confident, both with getting the procedure and with the plastic surgeon. If you don’t feel like they are the right doctor, it’s okay to move on to someone else.
Questions to Ask During Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
Before your appointment, make sure you either print out your list of questions or have a notes app on your phone. This is important for two reasons: 1) so you won’t forget them and 2) so you’ll have a way to write down answers. Also, it’s okay to ask tough questions! Remember, it’s important for you to trust your doctor, and we want you to feel reassured.
Many of these questions will probably be answered on the plastic surgeon’s website or during your conversation, so you can take notes as you get the answers you need. This list will help you get more specific information as well as remind you of any concerns you may have.
Questions About Your Plastic Surgeon
- First, make sure you ask questions about the surgeon and their experience, including:
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- How long have you been practicing as a plastic surgeon?
- How many breast augmentations do you do per month?
- Do you have before and after photos of your work?
- What is your rate of complications? What is the most common complication you encounter from breast augmentation?
Questions About Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
- While all breast augmentations are fairly similar, there are variables such as type of implant, placement, and size. Ask your physician:
- Will you be using silicone or saline implants? Which one is best?
- What size would you recommend for my body type (after discussing your goals for your outcome)?
- Where will the incision be and where will the implant be placed?
- Will I lose sensation in my breasts or nipples?
- Can I breastfeed after having implants placed?
- What are the complications during surgery and their rate of occurrence?
- Should I make any diet and lifestyle changes before surgery?
- How long does the surgery last? How long am I in recovery?
Questions to Ask About Post Surgery Recovery and Future Planning
- What is the recovery process like?
- How long should I take off work?
- Will I need support garments or special bras during the recovery?
- What if I have an emergency after the surgery?
- How long do I have to be on restricted activity?
- How long does it take to see final results?
- What if I’m not satisfied with the results and need a revision?
- How will I know if an implant ruptures?
- How long do implants last? Will I need breast implant removal or revision surgery?
It’s important to note that breast augmentation surgery is generally very safe with few complications, but it’s also important for you to get the information that will help you to feel more comfortable.
Schedule a Consultation to Discuss Breast Implants in Raleigh Today
If you’re ready to take the next step and schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon in Raleigh to discuss breast augmentation, we can help. We have a renowned team of staff led by board-certified Raleigh plastic surgeon, Dr. Ortiz, all of who are here to support you and help you achieve the body of your dreams. Reach out to us today at 919- 532-2270 or fill out the form below to get started.