Dermal fillers, such as Juvederm® and collagen treatments can fill fine lines and wrinkles and give your skin a smoother, more youthful appearance and keep your skin looking plump and vibrant for several months. While they aren’t permanent, Dr. Ortiz, a renowned plastic surgeon in Raleigh, is sharing some tips on how to not only improve the results but how to make them last longer, too.
Prepare for Getting the Best Results from Your Skincare Treatments
While some slight swelling and bruising are normal after receiving Juvederm® or other dermal injections, there are some steps you can take before your appointment to minimize them so you get better results more quickly.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 24 hours before your treatment.
- Ask Dr. Ortiz about stopping supplements before your treatments because certain ones, including primrose oil, ginseng, or vitamin E can exacerbate swelling or bruising.
- Avoid taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatories, including Motrin, Ibuprofen, or Aleve for one week before your treatments.
- Stop using anti-aging topical products, including Tretinoin, Retinols, Retinoids, or Glycolic Acid for 72 hours prior to receiving dermal fillers.
Steps to Take Immediately After Getting Dermal Fillers
The first 24 hours after you receive collagen treatments or injections can determine how your skin will look in three to six months or longer. We recommend doing (or avoiding) the following within the first day:
- Drink plenty of water, particularly with hyaluronic acid fillers to improve their water absorption effects.
- Sleep on your back to avoid pressure on the treated area.
- Avoid extreme heat or cold to minimize swelling and redness of the treated area.
- Use sunscreen and avoid direct UV rays as your skin will be more sensitive and prone to damage.
- Avoid working out for the first 24 hours.
Maintaining the Results of Your Dermal Fillers
After the initial healing, you still want to maintain proper after-care to maintain and even enhance the benefits of your dermal fillers.
UV rays are the most common cause of skin damage, causing collagen to break down and leading to lines, wrinkles, and discoloration. They can also undo all the benefits of your dermal fillers and cause them to break down more quickly. Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day, even when you don’t plan on spending much time outdoors, to avoid excessive exposure and maintain your results for a longer timespan.
Use the Right Skincare Products
Supporting your results with an effective daily skincare regimen can ensure you’re getting the best results from your dermal fillers. We are proud to carry Obagi Skincare, which is a medical-grade skincare brand with products designed to help you achieve and maintain a radiant, youthful appearance. Our team will work with you to select the right products for your unique needs!
Wear Sunglasses and Hats
Squinting from the sun and bright light can cause wrinkles and fine lines to form around your brows and the soft skin of your eyes. If you received fillers in this area, make sure to maintain them by avoiding squinting and straining around the eyes. Wearing sunscreen or hats when outside to provide sun protection and minimize glare can be extremely beneficial.
Stress causes your body to release cortisol, a hormone that controls your body’s “fight or flight” response. When you’re under continued stress, your body is continually releasing cortisol, which can speed the aging process and affect how your body metabolizes your dermal fillers. By reducing stress, your body won’t break down the treatments as quickly, helping them last longer.
Schedule an Appointment for Juvederm® or Dermal Fillers Today
For high-quality, long-lasting dermal fillers, including Juvederm and Restylane, reach out to our plastic surgery center in North Raleigh today. We are dedicated to helping you get the treatments you need to look your best and will work with you to create and achieve a custom skincare strategy. Call us today at (919)532-2270 or fill out the contact form below to get started.