When your buttocks are flat, sagging because of weight fluctuations, or out of proportion with the rest of your body, you may feel self-conscious or uncomfortable with how it looks. Fortunately, there is something you can do about it! There are several options for buttock enhancement you can choose from, and our board-certified plastic surgeon in Raleigh, Dr. Ortiz, is going to break down the four common procedures and why the Brazilian Butt Lift may be the right option for you.
What Are the Most Common Buttock Enhancement Procedures
Before determining which one is right for you, let’s look first at the types of procedures available and what they are and how they work.
Buttock Fat Grafting (Brazilian Butt Lift)
The Brazilian Butt Lift is rapidly growing in popularity invasive buttock enhancement and body-sculpting procedure. It’s performed through fat grafting in which fat cells are carefully removed from parts of your body, such as your thighs, hips, back or stomach through liposuction. The fat is prepared and then healthy fat cells are injected into subcutaneous plane of the buttocks, creating a rounder, firmer backside.
Fillers Butt Lift
The use of fillers like Sculptra® or Radiesse is a minimally invasive procedure used to create and sculpt a rounder buttock rather than fat. The injectable can then stimulate collagen growth and is often used to fill and restore volume. However this is usually limited by the cost as well as the amount needed to create the desired results.
Buttock augmentation is a surgical procedure in which specially designed, FDA approved silicone elastomer (not gel) butt implants are inserted to achieve volume as well as roundness and fullness. The procedure itself is more intensive, in which the surgeon makes an incision, often at the middle of the gluteal crease, where the buttocks meets each other. This minimizes visible scars. Then, an implant specifically designed for buttock enhancement is inserted and positioned in between the gluteal muscle so as to decrease it’s palpability.
Liposuction is not performed to create a rounder, fuller backside, but it is often used in conjunction with buttock enhancement procedures to create a specific shape and contour to the area. Incisions are made in the desired area where fat is to be removed, then a cannula (thin hollow tube) is inserted in the incisions to loosen excess fat, which is then removed. This differential tends to create better shape and enhance an already good looking butt.
Hydrogel and Silicone Injections
You may have heard of hydrogel injections or silicone injections as an affordable alternative to the above methods. However, these are highly dangerous and are not approved for use, and are typically offered by unlicensed providers. These materials not only offer temporary, uneven results, the materials can travel to other parts of the body, causing granuloma lumps while in more serious cases, infections, scarring, and other severe effects can occur.
Weighing the Pros and Cons of Each Buttock Enhancement Procedure
No matter which procedure you choose, it’s important to know that there will be some downtime required after your procedure, and sitting directly on your bottom will not be possible for several weeks. Laying, standing, or even using a special cushion, like a Boppy or pillow will be necessary to ease discomfort and ensure results aren’t affected. Now that you know what each procedure is, let’s weigh the pros and cons of each one so you have a better idea of what to expect and which one may be ideal to get you the body and figure you long for.
Brazilian Butt Lift
Pros of a Brazilian Butt Lift:
- A naturally round looking and feeling backside;
- Compared to silicone implants, this has a significantly lower rate or complications;
- No risk of toxicity or allergic reaction since there isn’t a foreign substance being introduced;
- Provides sculpting in other parts of the body, allowing you to get a more toned tummy or thighs while improving the shape of your buttocks;
- Long-term, long-lasting results;
- Is your own tissues
- Some pain and bruising with very small incisions;
- Can resume light day-to-day activities within a week of the procedure.
Factors to consider:
- Best for people with at least small amounts of excess fat to transfer;
- Final results may take six months as swelling and healing go down and any excess fat is reabsorbed into the body;
Filler Butt Lift
Pros of filler Butt Lift
- Patients with minimal body fat to transfer can benefit from this procedure;
- Natural looking and feeling backside;
- Minimal pain and bruising due to small injections;
- Low rate of complications compared to buttock augmentation;
- Can resume light activities within a few days of the procedure;
Factors to Consider
- Results only last two to five years;
- This doesn’t sculpt any other areas of the body;
Pros of silicone butt augmentation
- Dramatic, permanent results;
- Minimal chance of shifting or rupturing;
Factors to Consider
- More invasive surgery which can lead to higher risks and complications;
- Longer recovery time, often up to four to six weeks before getting back to normal daily routines;
Why more clients are recommending Brazilian Butt Lifts
For patients who want more curves and fullness in their backside, the Brazilian Butt Lift tends to be the best option. Not only is less invasive, than an implant with less downtime, but because we’re using fat from your own body that’s been purified, rather than relying on a foreign substance. Also, patients enjoy that they can get a more sculpted appearance in other parts of their body, whether it’s by removing stubborn belly fat or getting rid of the “saddlebags” in order to harvest the fat used in the procedure. In fact, it’s becoming such a popular, well-regarded procedure that it’s performed at a rate of seven times that of silicone implant augmentation.
Schedule a Consultation for a Brazilian Butt Lift in Raleigh Today
If you’re ready to live life with confidence and get the figure you’ve dreamed of, we can help. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Ortiz by calling us at (919) 532-2270 or filling out the form below to discuss whether a Brazilian butt lift is right for you.